- Keep your workstation(s) clean and tidy.
- Ensure that you have ample ventilation in the room(s) you are working in.
- Sit comfortably, ensuring that your eye line is always approximately level with the top of the screen displays.
- Adjust the brightness of screen displays to minimize glare and resulting eyestrain.
- Use large font or expanded view where possible to minimize eye strain.
- Maintain the office lighting level at a brightness appropriate to the nature of the task. Minimise backlighting behind your screens.
- Switch off screens, or set to screensaver to minimize screen 'burn' when leaving workstation for a prolonged period.
- Log off when leaving a workstation, if appropriate.
- Shut down machines overnight unless processing (to reduce power consumption and heat build-up in offices).
- Switch off lights, air-conditioners and other appliances whenever possible (to reduce power consumption and heat build-up).
- Ensure that all mains plugs are firmly pushed into their sockets at all times.
- Always do everything in your power to minimize all possibilities of electrical arcing and/or overheating.
- Never leave curtains, drapes or any other flammable materials lying on electrical connections.
- Always switch off a socket before unplugging from it.
- Unless running on battery, power down a computer before unplugging it.